Clocks, Watches/Watch that is oil resistant?

Hi, I'm mechanic and looking for a watch that I could use at work.
Even though I wear gloves every day occasionally you can end up almost elbow
deep in motor oil. Is there a watch that could resist oil penetration or any water resistant watch supposed to resist motor oil too?

Hi, Lukas.  I have never had a request for or heard any discussion for an "oil resistant" watch.  In direct answer to your question, I would think that a water resistant watch would be a liquid resistant watch as long as the liquid would not contain chemicals that would affect the materials of which the watch was made.  I did a quick check on eBay and there are some watches that have a rubber type housing and band, such as a Seiko I saw. You can probably obtain an inexpensive ($50-$100) one there.  I think that would be better than a metal type as far as oil getting into the crevices.

In considering what you need, I would consider that a watch covered with oil would retain the oil for a while, and in addition to wiping the oil from your hands and arms each time that was needed, the watch would have to be removed and cleaned to keep oil from dripping in other areas after the oil job had been completed.  Also, with dirty oil, would the face have to be cleaned every time you wanted to look at it?

How about removing the bands from a watch, securing a Velcro pad on the back of the watch with adhesive and sewing a mating Velcro pad on the front sleeve of your shirts near the shoulder where it would be convenient to see it?  

Bottom line is that as I have never heard of an oil-resistant watch, I cannot advise you as to the practical application of doing this.  

Oops, on second thought, I had forgotten to check Google.  If you will Google "oil resistant watch", you will find some, but I will leave my answer as is.  Hope you find what you need.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
137 First St
Prattville, Alabama 36067  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)