Clocks, Watches/Howard-Miller Talking Clock/Calendar

I have a Howard-Miller talking clock/calendar I found in my deceased fathers belongings. Normally I wouldn't pay any mind to it but I remember it as a kid. I can't figure out how to set the calendar and date or the time. Could you please help?

Price, I just don't know anything about that clock.  Most mechanical clocks have similar characteristics for running, setting, maintaining, etc.  But the electronic clocks have so many variations on programming that they are difficult to "decode" as far as setting them.  I even did some research on instructions or manuals and did not find anything.  I did find that the clock has been discontinued.  I also found on one of the Google hits that I had answered a question in 2009.  The question was republished, published but not the answer, which probably was not much help.  But a reader had submitted feedback that he called Howard Miller and talked to Jim who helped him.  I know Jim and he is a really helpful person, as all the support people there at Howard Miller are. I use the (616) 772-7277 number to the main menu.  Good luck and I'm sorry I could not help you more.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)