Clocks, Watches/time adjustment on a 340-020

Question
I have this clock and it keeps loosing about 10 mts a day. I tried moving the adjustment to the max on the balance wheel but it barely makes any difference. The clock works fine but no amount of adjustment seems to speed it up. It does have the two weights that limit the amount I can push the 3 pronged adjuster.
Please advise.

Thanks
Ron.

Answer
Ron, the Hermle 340-020 has one of two types of regulators.  One is the original floating balance (not manufactured any longer) which has a vertical spiral spring above the balance wheel.  The later model is referred to as the balance wheel type which has a hairspring like a watch.  This type is more quirky and more has to go into the correction process. On either type we service the movement which includes disassembling, cleaning, inspecting and adjusting or repairing any problems we see.  Then the regulator is cleaned in as different solution, checked and either repaired or replaced if necessary.  Because of the critical adjustments, some clockshops will not take these in for service.  However, I will say that most can be serviced successfully.  In our shop, we will work on the latter balance wheel types only if we install a new mainspring and use now available ball-bearings on what we call the "time second wheel.  

If your movement hasn't been serviced in the last 10 years, it would be time to do that anyway.  Bottom line is that if you have adjusted the regulator to the max in the proper direction and it does not affect the regulation, it would be best to have a clockmaker experienced in servicing the balance wheels.  BTW, by your description, I suspect that you have the floating balance. I'm not qwuite sure of what you mean by the two weights limiting the adjustment, but that's probbly just a difference of description.  If you will send a photo of the back of the movement to me (email address below), I will check it out and see if there is anything I might be able to suggest before you take it to a shop.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman