Clocks, Watches/Jauch Pendell110 cm

Can a Hermle 1161-053/114 replace Jauch Pendell 110 cm?

Tillman, yes the Hermle 1163-053/114 is the one used to replace the Jauch Pendell 110cm.  I will reference my answer on an Emperor Model 300 case.  Other Emperor case mounting is about the same as the Model 300, but let me know if your case is not the 300.  If so, let me know which one it is, or if you don't know, send a full front photo of the clock (my shop email address is  There are replacement kits available to do the whole job, which involve replacing the movement/chains/hands, dial, pendulum, weights and gong assembly. Some minor modifications do have to be made with the conversion kit installation. Or you can build one up from individual components, sometimes keeping the pendulum (requiring minor modification) and gong assembly.  It is better to replace the dials that fit on the new movement rather than trying to modify the old one.  I won't go into detail at this point. Another factor is the movement mount assembly configuration.  I have found that in doing this, the new movement and original mounts don't match easily, and I build a more simple arrangement.  We can discuss that and other details further when you contact me.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)