Clocks, Watches/LFS from old cotton exchange Memphis

Question
Lgw clock
Lgw clock  

Top
Top  
Great clock need date or info , seems to be working from
A prominent family in the area  here is info
DRPN 142125.  LFS.  20609
Any information you can provide trying to set timing no
Instructions on what to check . Must be level no pro help in this area ?
Thank you
Was in the old cotton exchange. Happy to send $ on assistance

Answer
Helen, your fine looking clock is German.  The information you gave me probably refers to the German patent number and the LFS would be the maker, Lorenz Furtwangler and Son.  I have seen a lot of similar clocks with the Typical 12" brass dial with black Arabic numerals that were manufactured from somewhere around 1915 to 1935.  Most of the cases were what they called "Art Deco" and were rather simple in design, meaning straight sides and a rounded or square top with very little carved or scrollwork.  So yours could be a little before or after that timeframe.  You can find quite a bit of information on LFS if you will Google "German Clock LFS".  One of my Internet Clocksmiths members posted this information (which you find similar to some of the Web Sites on Google:

LFS is a Lorenz Furtwängler and Son registered trademarke.
The logo was first registered as a trade maker in 09/21/1881
and again in 01/22/1895.

The Furtwängler and Son clock factory or Uhrenfabrik (German
for clock factory, direct english translation is hour maker)
was located in Furtwangen, Germany, and founded in 1836.
Sons of Theophil, Hector, Oskar and Aldof all clockmakers
joined the father's enterpise in 1868 and the company changed
to Uhrenfabrik L. Furtwängler & Sohne.  Because they were
makers of clocks which posessed top precision in workmanship,
movements and cases they became world famous.  In 1900
ownership changed hands to A. G. Stock holder Corporation.

Beginning with World War I the clockmaking was by law
drastically curtailed, the company did participate in the
production within the defense industry.  After 1918, the
tough competition of mass produced clocks and less expensive
movements and clocks case forced them out of business and all
operations stopped in 1929.

The logo will give you the date between 1881 and 1925 for
production of that movement, the logo was changed in 1925 to
just read FURTWANGLER.  The size of the escapewheel on the
logo changed in 1885 from smaller then a dime to about the
size of a dime.  This might help with dating it further.

If you haven't already done so, it would add to the history of the clock if you could find any information on the clock at the Memphis Cotton Exchange.

Ironically, today I am packing a clock for a military family which has similar charastics to yours.  It has the same dial, movement type, pendulum and weights.  The case outline is also about the same.  I would say that it is quite a bit newer than yours.

I almost forgot, you had mentioned regulating the clock and being level. Basically, the retulation is done with the small round nut, called the rating nut, on the bottom of the pendulum underneath the bob (round disc). First you want to make sure the bob is resting firmly on the rating nut.  Set the time using a digital device like a microwave, vcr or quartz watch or clock. Run it for a specific time, let's say 24 hours.  Check it against the device you used to start the test. If it is not on time, note how much it is slow or fast.  Turn the nut to regulate the time, up to go faster, down to go slower.  Always insure the pendulum bob is resting firmly on the nut after adjusting.  THe general rule for floor clocks is that one complete turn of the rating nut will change the time 1/2 minute per day. For instance, if the clock is running 3 minutes a day slow, "tighten" the nut 6 complete turns.  Reset the clock and check it for another 24 hours.  If it is not enough, readjust.  If it then runs to fast, back the nut down a little.  In setting up a clock, the first consideration is that it be stable, meaning that it doesn't rock.  There could be leveling feet on the bottom or you can use shims to stablize it.  The clock should be relatively level. It does not have to be precise, because there should be an adjustment on the pendulum hanger for this.  The reason is that if the room isn't exactly level, the clock can be set to match the room and then the adjustment can compensate for that.  The result is that the clock should be in beat, having an even, tick....tock....tick....tock.  If it goes, tick..tock......tick..tock, it is out of beat and will probably stop.  If you do have problems with that, contact me at my shop email address below and I can request a photo of the back of the movement and tell you how to adust it.  Also, if you do have other problems and I walk you throu some diagnostics.

Thank you for the offer on renumeration, but there are never any fees connected with our ALlexperts service.  They do allow us to accept "tips", but I do not request them. I have used donations from Allexperts to help fund our church mission trips. Another "Ironically", and that is that we are leaving on one of these trips for Honduras in three days. Along with providing help in out community and the USA, we also reach out to the world. I am a member of a fresh water well drilling team.  We go to Central America and drill wells for villages there for people that have never had fresh clean water.

Let me know how it goes.  I will be putting my Allexperts status on "Vacation" Saturday, June 11, through around Sunday, June 19, but will be checking emails and texts while off.  So, don't hesitate to contact me.  Also let me know the area in which you live and I will chect to see if there are any of our Clocksmiths members near you.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman