Clocks, Watches/need of a key

I have inherited a King Arthur Grandmother clock 1151.  We can not find the key to unlock it.  Is there somewhere to comtact to get a new key?

Sherry, I am on a short vacation but am still answering Allexperts questions. King Arthur was founded by the person that previously sold Emperor Clock Company.  It is very probably that they used the same type of lock that we did at Emperor.  I have an assortment of keys that fit most of the keys used in these clocks.  There are a few ways to approach this. The first is to ask if you can get a picture of the back of the lock, like through glass in the side of the clock.  I can possibly identify the lock and send you the correct key.  Another way is to CAREFULLY spread the sides of the clock so the lock striker comes out of the part holding it.  If this works, the door would come open when this is done and you could send me the lock.  I could then match the key or I could send you a similar lock with a matching key.  The last option is that I can send you an assortment and you can pick out the key that would fit your lock.  Reply to my email address below and I will be glad to give you the details on how we can do this, and then I will be back at my shop Wednesday.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
137 First St
Prattville, Alabama 36067

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)