Clocks, Watches/Ksssel 31-day regulator windup clock

When I hung the clock and wound it it is in beat until I put the pendulum on it. I cannot get it in beat at all what is my problem.  Without the pendulum it continues to run

Jewell, your 31-day Kassel wall clock is an Asian clock.  It has a German name but it is one the Asians used.  It is very unlikely you can set the beat on a clock with the pendulum off.  There is no need to try to do this without the pendulum attached. I receive quite a few questions stating that the clock not run with the pendulum but will run it off.  That is like starting a car engine that is badly tuned.  It will run in idle, but if you put it in gear and start moving it stalls out. If everthing is in order with the clock movement, it will run if the clock is in beat.  That means that it should have an even tick....tock....tick....tock.  So hang the pendulum on and check for the beat.  If it goes tick..tock......tick..tock, it is out of beat and will stop. The easiest way to set the beat is to move the bottom of the clock a little to the left or right until you hear the even beat.  If the clock is tilted too much to look good on the wall, the movement mechanism has to be adjusted.  Some of these clocks had an auto beat feature in which you could hold the pendulum over to one side and release it and it would set its own beat.  But most do not.  I do not have a Kassel in my shop so I cannot look at one to tell.  If it doesn't work, let me know and I will give you some more information.

One further note and that is to make sure the mainsprings are wound.  On most of these Asian clocks there are arrows over the winding arbors to indicate the winding direction.  Sometimes clock owners try to wind in the wrong direction and think they are wound up.  Also the 31-day mainsprings are very strong and it takes more effort to wind them than German or American 8-day clocks.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)