Clocks, Watches/Young Town Quartz 12888 (yet again)

Question
Same as file name
Same as file name  
QUESTION: I purchased an old non-working clock that has a Young Town Quartz 12888 movement.  Ordinarily, not an issue to replace however, this one has no threaded shaft. (see attached photo) The movement snaps into the round case; it's a very tight fit.  

I have not been able to find a replacement for this movement. can you help.  

Thanks much,

ANSWER: Hi Chuck,
Thank you for your very clear description and the great photo. I don't know of anyone selling Young Town snap in movements. There are snap in movements from other factories (Takane and Quartex) being sold here in the states but I doubt of your hands will fit so you would need to get new hands too. If you want to pursue that you can post a photo of the hands and tell me the length of the minute hand from the mounting hole to the tip and I'll do some research for you.
Thanks,
Michael
www.norkro.com
clock parts and repair

Clock Hands 800px
Clock Hands 800px  
QUESTION: Hi Michael - thank you so much for your response.  

The hands measure:
Second hand - 1 1/4 inches
Minute hand - 1 1/4 inches
Hour hand - 1 inch

The movement case measures 2 1/4 square.  It sits in a round frame, with just movement corners touching the round frame.

I am not wed to Young Town Quartz.

Would a better solution be to simply forget the snap-in and use a movement with a very, very short threaded shaft?  The plastic cover over the clock face is convex in shape so I believe there is sufficient space for the shaft and hands.  I could also use a spacer on the back side.  The only constraint would be ensuring the movement is no larger than 2 1/4 on each side.

Again, thank you for your help.

Answer
You could get a new snap in movement and new hands. Any mini quartz movement should be no larger than 2-1/4" square. Most of them are 2-3/16" or 2-1/8". The rounding of the corners could be different. You said your corners touch the case so I have to put that out there. The fact is, you won't be sure any movement will fit in your clock until you try it. If there is a clock shop in your area you should take it there to at least get an opinion. When someone brings one of those to me I might have to try two or three movements and sometimes nothing will fit. If you are interested in getting a movement or two to try you can shop for snap in movements at www.klockit.com   
Michael

Clocks, Watches

Michael Radi