Cobol/MF COBOL 4.1 Runtime on SCO OpenServer 6?

Question
I'm trying to determine if MF COBOL Runtime 4.1 and/or MF COBOL Compiler 3.1  will function under SCO OpenServer 6.  

We currently use these under SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 but are being told that currently available hardware will only support SCO OpenServer 6, and I've been asked to find out if we're going to have to scramble to find a solution, or if we can limp along another little bit on our ancient software while we convert to another language.

This stuff is ancient, but we'd hate to spend the time and money bringing it up-to-date if we're going to be going another direction entirely soon.

Thanks!

Answer
There isn't a chart which shows compatibility that far back that I'm aware of.

I can't tell you 100% for certain that it will work, but I'm thinking that it will...

All I can tell you is to test it.  Wish I had a definitive answer for you! :)

From the tech side of things, it typically depends upon your application whether it will work without issues going from one version to the next on the O/S.  If you aren't doing anything platform specific in the code, you have good odds of it working.  I think the install software for the runtime just looks for a version number > X during install.

If it doesn't work and you need to get something up and running on the new setup, call Micro Focus.  They have some options for older customer deployments looking to upgrade.

You mentioned hardware...  You may want to make sure you aren't moving to a platform configuration your original license purchase doesn't make allowances for.  

Some of those server-based licenses are very specific to the number of CPU's and cores you can legally run them on.  For instance, if you bought a license for a single CPU Intel machine 10 years ago and are now considering running on a dual CPU quad core server, you have to update the license to reflect the new hardware.

Otherwise you are probably in violation of your licensing agreement.

Hope this helps!

Cobol

Robert Collins