Cobol/Moving Pic S9(2)v9 to Pic X(?)

Question
Hi

Is is possible to move Pic S9(2)v9 to Pic X(?) field? If so, what would Pic X be defined as  ..Pic X (4) or (5)?? I want to make sure the sign and the decimal point are being passed through.

Thank You

Paul

Answer
Exactly what the results are depends on the version of COBOL and platform you are running on.
The decimal point is LOGICAL, and will not show in a move you have set. Also. most versions will not convert the sign to a character. If you need both you need to create an edited result field, not a PIC X of any size.

David.  

Cobol

David Nelson