Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Washington quarter3/21/2017Dan Moore
  Q: I found an unusual quarter in my change jar. I have tried unsuccessfully to search the Internet to ...
  A: While they were labeled "Front side" and "Back side", they were both the same picture of the back ...
Blank Penny3/20/2017Ronald Fern
  Q: Re-asking with pictures; "I have what appears to be an incomplete penny. It has the lip around the ...
  A: It appears you may have a type 2 blank planchet cent (unstruck coin). Compare it to a struck cent. ...
1941 dime3/7/2017Ronald Fern
  Q: Estimate value please.Could you please recommend a coin facility that buys old coins in the ...
  A: Pics did not download. There are numerous sites on the internet for coin values. Try entering United ...
Misprinted $5.003/4/2017Ronald Fern
  Q: Fern, I have a $5.00 bill that I got from an ATM in the El Paso airport in the 1980's. I have kept ...
  A: Sheet partially folded over, as you can tell from top crease. Bill was cut correctly, so must have ...
uniface coin3/3/2017David McConaghy
  Q: I am from Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. I recently found a uniface 2016 T@T 10 cent coin. ...
  A: This coin looks like it was struck with some foreign material on one side. This means that when the ...
Silver Eagles3/2/2017Dan Moore
  Q: I am getting ready to start collecting the Silver Eagles starting with 1986 release. My question is ...
  A: Over the years, the mints that produced the silver eagles changed, between Philadelphia, San ...
Silver Penny?2/24/2017Dan Moore
  Q: I found a 1983 silver colored penny at work the other day, and I was wondering if you could possibly ...
  A: All pennies dated 1981 or older are composed of almost all copper, with a tiny bit a zinc mixed in. ...
1969 aluminum penny2/22/2017PAPAJACK
  Q: I was wondering if any the 1969 aluminum penny was ever verified I just got one with my change from ...
  A: There was no recorded error in any of my catalogs of a off metal strike on your date cent. How ...
Sri Lanka Commemorative coins definitive list2/10/2017Dr Kavan Ratnatunga
  Q: Sri Lankan commemorative coins are very interesting, but i do not see a definitive list anywhere. ...
  A: The primary lakdiva.org coin page is at http://coins.lakdiva.org/main.html from which there are ...
2003 nickel p1/31/2017Joe Hylas
  Q: I have this nickel that appears to have a doubling on his chin
  A: Double die error coins are rare. Without inspecting the coin, I can not tell you what you have but ...
1980 error quarter?1/30/2017Ronald Fern
  Q: I came across this 1980 Washington quarter I'm fairly new to coin collecting and it appears to have ...
  A: Based on attached pics, I'd say you have a regular quarter that either had well used dies strike ...
1968 Rosevelt Dime no mint1/29/2017David McConaghy
  Q: I have a 1968 Rosevelt dime it does not have a mint mark, and the word we is a little smashed and is ...
  A: All of the 1968 dimes made for circulation had no mint mark. The proof set was made with an S for ...
1968 no "s" Roosevelt dime1/26/2017David McConaghy
  Q: I'm hoping you could tell me more about this US Dime and if its worth or value at anything
Old silver coin1/20/2017Dan Moore
  Q: while fossicking with my brother outside of Ballarat, Victoria, Australia I found a large round ...
  A: This is not any kind of coin from the U.S. Mint. It is something privately made -- some type of ...
1972 quarter1/19/2017Dan Moore
  Q: My question is this a quarter worth keeping. I just started collecting quarters.
  A: If it's a nice looking coin, and you like it, then keep it. However, there were over 215 million of ...
Modern Double or Triple Die1/18/2017Dan Moore
  Q: Can you please ascertain what has happened to my coin. I have more close up picks of doubling or ...
  A: This is what's known as strike doubling, or die erosion doubling. It happens when the dies get used ...
Copper Wheat Penny1/18/2017Jim Lawniczak
  Q: Jim, Going through my pennies I found a Wheat Cent with no date or mint mark on it.I then realized ...
  A: Owen, it was copper all the years, the mint didn't change to the copper plated zinc until 1982. My ...
Mystery coin1/7/2017Bogdan C.
  Q: Was wondering if you are familiar with this coin where its from
  A: This is outside my expertise but I can give you an answer. It was certainly issued by the Russian ...
iraqi gold coin 19811/6/2017Joe Hylas
  Q: I read your remarks mentioned in your mail dd 9/27/2009 wherein you showed us the picture of a gold ...
  A: Wow, 7 years ago I wrote that! I have to imagine that the info was retrieved from The Standard ...
1978 silver colored penny1/5/2017Joe Hylas
  Q: I was hoping you might have some history on a coin like this since I had seen that you said you've ...
  A: Considering you coin is heavier, my guess is that you have a normal Cent that has been electroplated ...
1973 US Quarter with flaws12/24/2016Ronald Fern
  Q: I was going through some coins and ran across a 1973 US Quarter with no mintmark. The front has a ...
  A: Likely a minor filled die error. Minimal added value to an interested collector. Result of dirt, ...
1982 Error Cent12/16/2016Dan Moore
  Q: I've come across this 1982 cent weighing 2.5 grams I'm I right to think it's an error coin ? Kind ...
  A: 1982 was the crossover year that the mint changed from the mostly copper cents that weighed 31.1 ...
1887 gold sovereign 12mm12/16/2016Dmitry Livshits
  Q: Have little knowledge on it seen others but bigger or not gold can you help on how much and if there ...
  A: It appears to be a medalet, made of brass, rather than an actual coin. These are pretty common ...
1973 Bicentennial Commemorative metal12/11/2016Dan Moore
  Q: I have one that is Sterling Silver and one that is gold or bronze (not sure). What is there value ...
  A: I assume these have the flip-open cases and paperwork. The silver Samuel Adams & Patrick Henry ...
world war 1coins12/11/2016Dmitry Livshits
  Q: i have about 23 coins from world war 1 that i need value estimates for and i cant seem to get ...
  A: The 1898 Prussia silver 5 mark coin (the big one) looks to be in fairly nice condition and worth in ...
strange penny12/7/2016David McConaghy
  Q: I have a 1965 lincoln penny it has a hole in the center approximately 1\4 inch in diameter the hole ...
  A: What you have is an altered coin - this was not done at the mint. We can guess that the person who ...
2 Rupees coin12/6/2016Dr Kavan Ratnatunga
  Q: Kavan Ratnatunga, Would you be so kind to clarify information about Sri-Lanka 2 Rupees coin. Link ...
  A: There was only a commemorative issue of the Rs 2 in 2012 ...
Fake penny?12/3/2016Ronald Fern
  Q: I recently received this penny as change at a service station and beleive its fake but my family ...
  A: Based on pics provided, I'd say real, and likely PMD, post mint damage. Since 1982, cents were made ...
Miscut $1 Bill12/3/2016Greg Davis
  Q: Was this likely a miscut made by an individual who purchased an entire sheet for use in magic tricks ...
  A: This note came from a sheet that was sold at the BEP. It's a fake error... they cut it to make it ...
Proof coin11/27/2016Ronald Fern
  Q: Good evening, This Kennedy half dollar is part of a 1972 proof set. As you will see, there is an ...
  A: As an error, it would be classified as a struck through (object) error. Debris, grease, dirt, grime, ...
Coins & notes11/24/2016Dr Kavan Ratnatunga
  Q: I'm a new coin and currency collector who is just starting my collection. I wanted to say thank you ...
  A: I agree that Irfan down chatham Street has crazy prices. That is well known. He seems to find ...
Morgan Dollar Value Guide11/16/2016Manning Garrett
  Q: I hope you can help. I just inherited about 250 Morgan silver dollars. I can find values for the ...
  A: Hey Ben, the very short answer is that the year, mint mark, condition, and sometimes variety of the ...
Spanish & Eyptian Coin11/14/2016Bogdan C.
  Q: I have two coins that I have had for a very long time and would love to know if they are worth ...
  A: This one looks like a 4 reales Spanish coin dated 1731, presumably struck in silver. Again its ...
1974 possible error coin. How to know its rarity and worth.11/12/2016Ronald Fern
  Q: I have found a 1974 D dime with the US U in E PLURIB"US U"NUM is missing. I don't know if it is an ...
  A: Likely a filled or greased die error, where a foreign substance (dirt, grime, metal filings, ...
Potential Error Coins?11/6/2016Joe Hylas
  Q: I'm fairly new to coin collecting and decided to go through a lot of pocket change to pass the time. ...
  A: Welcome to the hobby! These are all minor errors. If you look, you can probably find 1 error in ...
1972 Proof10/30/2016Ronald Fern
  Q: I have better images of a 1972 cent proof I had asked about recently. Am I correct in saying that ...
  A: The pics are still not clear enough to make a good guess. There are a number of minor doubled dies. ...
1945 50 rupees10/28/2016Dr Kavan Ratnatunga
  Q: Ranatunga, Just wondering how much 1945 King GVI 50 Rupees note worth?. Are they any replicas of ...
  A: As with all notes value Depends on the condition of the Note. SCWPM says US$175 VG and US$700 for ...
Doubt10/27/2016Dan Moore
  Q: I have 2 1992 pennies one "d" and "p" ,have you noticed this characteristic on these pennies?? ...
  A: I'm sure this is due to polishing of the dies used to stamp the coins. Polishing wears away the ...
Skilling coin10/25/2016Dmitry Livshits
  Q: Dmitry! I want to make a gift to my friend who is fond of old coins. I've found this - ...
  A: This coin is not rare, but also not common in high grades like the one in your link. The coin is ...
Copper 1995 quarter10/23/2016Dan Moore
  Q: I had a coin person look at it and he said it was not a real copper coin but he offered to buy it I ...
  A: It appears to me that what you have is known as a "missing clad layer" mint error. When the mint ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

Top Expert on this page