Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1861 xxx ein pfund fein

Question
I have a 1861 Fein medium wear coin.  Front has Franz Joseph I.V.G.G. kaiser v.Oesterreich with an A stamped on the bottom and back has xxx Ein Pfund Fein 1861 Ein Vereinsthaler also the side has * M I T Ver Einten Kraeft. What do I have and how much is it worth.  Thank you

Answer
Hi Lori, this is a 1 Thaler from Austria featuring Emperor Franz Joseph I (1848-1916). It should weigh 18.5186 grams and contains .5359 of an ounce of silver. There were 3.14 million minted in Vienna (A) that year and it may be worth about $40 with moderate wear.
You might find similar pieces on Ebay.com for comparison. You might also try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, values and lots more interesting info.
Brad

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Brad Swain