Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1963 Steel Penny

Larry wrote at 2009-03-17 15:50:01
I too have a 1963 D steel penny in good condition.  Nothing appears to be altered and it does reverse memorial on back.  Larry

Charles wrote at 2010-04-28 10:22:41
Jim, You're not crazy! I have the same penny - a 1963 D that's not coppered and is somewhat magnetic, with the Lincoln Memorial on the back.  Did you ever find out any information on this?

Jordan wrote at 2012-03-28 06:25:38
Ok, I thought I was going bonkers because I was checking my steel wheat cents and I SWORE it said 1963 D, but I knew that the last ones were intentionally struck in '43, and there were some unintentional '44's, but '63 was out of the question. Yet I see that others have the same dilemna as me!

Kevin wrote at 2015-07-24 00:50:17
Just for the record my dad is a coin collector and he wanted me to look up his 1963 d steel penny that does stick to a magnet. I can't find anything about it.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Jim Lawniczak

I will answer your questions about encased coins (lucky pennies), which are advertising and event tokens with coins, unually cents, struck with the token.

Long time collector of encased coins and author of several articles on encased coins.

TAMS, ECI (Encased Collectors International)

TAMS -- several articles on encased coins, in particular the encased coins of the 1901 Buffalo Pan American Exposition
Casement -- many articles on encased coins