Coin and Paper Money Collecting/found a coin either 1721 or1741

johnathin wrote at 2008-06-13 03:01:52
did you know that if you look at the date on this coin,up right you see 1721 or 1741,BUT if you turn the coin up side down {looking at the front of the coin,if the side with the face is the front}you see the same date back wards as if you look at it forward.i have the same coin but no i deer what it is.the date is a palindromic

Kenny wrote at 2009-02-16 15:06:58
I also have this coin and over the left shoulder of the king has what looks like four letters that look like WNRF, but I have no idea what it means

James wrote at 2009-04-03 17:25:40
i HAVE THE SAME COIN BUT IT HAS 16 DOTS GOING AROUND THE TOP (FRONT) OF THE COI. IM ONLY 14 AND MY GANDFATHER FOUND TWO OF THESE COINS AND GAVE ME ONE. HE FOUND IT IN THE AUGUSTA MALL IN GEORGIA . hOW MUCH IS IT WORTH? I AM INTERESTED IN COIN COLLECTING.

derf wrote at 2009-04-15 17:56:50
I found the same coin! I'm wondering what it is and if by any chance it's worth anything. Heck, I'd at least like to know the story behind it

Stephanie327 wrote at 2009-05-03 01:13:47
Hi Mike!  The coin you are referring to is a toy coin found in a pirate's treasure box.  I bought one for my son...it stumped me too until my son told me it was a fake.

James wrote at 2009-12-03 16:40:18
I have wrote you before, but the coin might be copper because it can conduct electricity because me and my science teacher tested this.  The ship on the back has very good detail if you look up close.  Also there is 16 dots on the front of my coin.  The rim of the coin is rigid.  The man has a crown that has a point that looks like another dot.  He also has abeard.  I have done research on Muslim, Persian, and past Eastern rulers and have nothing on who the man might be or what the ship resembles.  I don't know exactly what the writing resembles but there is like 4 letters over a line on the left of the man, and maybe 4 numbers to his right that looks like 1721 and looks like 1721 even when up-side down.  I have been told by people that it was just a token or nothing real, but I atleast want to know what it is.  If other of you can put a picture online, so I can compare.  Please write an answer on any new information.  Thanks!

jen643 wrote at 2010-02-10 23:21:20
i also found this coin a short time ago on my bedroom floor. this is not a toy coin. I am researching and have taken photos. Mine two has 16 dots. I have sent the phots to a coin guy to see if he knows anything.

Jordan302 wrote at 2010-08-24 15:55:23
Did you find out anything about the coin? My cousin in Texas found one.  Is it real? Does it have any value? It is a pretty heavy coin - seems strange to go through so much trouble for a toy!

Carmen wrote at 2010-11-18 02:10:55
I live in California and also have the same coin, don't remember how I got it, but I've had it for a few years now.  I thought it was some kind of token and was going to throw it away, until I noticed the year on it.  Does anybody know anything about this coin?  Is it worth anything?

Pat wrote at 2011-01-27 17:48:26
I have this coin too, and it is definitely a toy pirate coin from my sons pirate box set from a book store. When I found it in my 4 year old sons coins I was stumped for awhile, I thought it was real at first too lol, until I found his toy pirate set and looked into it

Marcella Morris wrote at 2011-07-08 17:29:00
I along with all these others have encountered this coin and the search for an explanation began. I have been told by two separate coin dealers that they had believed the coin to be Islamic in origin and having a great deal of value. Though an answer has yet to be authenticated i take great comfort in knowing i was not alone in this search. My coin also has sixteen stars and the letters WRINE or so it appears to.  

HAZEL wrote at 2011-09-23 14:32:19
This is not a toy coin, it is way too heavy, possibly copper!  I have two of the same coins so it doesn't sound like they are a rarity but I would like to find more info on them!

clay wrote at 2011-10-04 00:35:50
It is not a toy coin because i know the toy industry wouldn't buy copper or brass for there toys because it would be far to expensive they make theres out of strong aluminum or just metal you know copper is worth lot if you take a more  to a scrap yard.lol

karita wrote at 2013-12-22 07:06:53
hi i am karita morgen fulton and i have fond the same coin my moms x boyfriend gave it to me. it has 16 dots it has 1721  and wnrf and some kind of a king on the front and on the back a ship

if you people know what it is tell me thank you.

Ziggy wrote at 2014-08-10 21:12:25
I have the same coin and I want to know what it is worth

Jeff wrote at 2014-11-10 01:07:57
I found the same coin in my attic, no idea what it is.

Austin Brant wrote at 2015-07-26 18:44:19
I've been researching it and the only results I've found are either 3 conclusions : it's a toy coin because Appearently a lot of little kids got it and their parents wrote reviews about it. This can be supported by the fact that no distinguishing marks can be found even on mint specimens telling which country ( or kingdom ) that this coin belongs to. The coin has also only been found in the USA, specifically the east coast but in rare occasions a little more west. One would say that this could be British, but this cannot be true because the date, 1721, cannot be confirmed due to the lack of detail on, once again, even mint condition coins. Not only this, but British kings did not generally have beards,and the king at the time, king George, did not even have a beard, as was the custom. The coin could then appear to have a Muslim or Arabic origin, which would explain the beard aspect. The date appears it could be an Arabic, but my translations have failed. But even so, if this was a real coin, the ship or the king should have at least one mark resembling where in the world it originated. So because of the lack of detail even on mint coins, I would label this a fake, either a toy coin resembling any country a kid wants, or a plain fake just for giggles. I also must include that among all, no accounts show that this coin was bought, just found. I have this coin myself and have absolutely no idea how I obtained it. I was a child once and had many pirate books but I make no conclusions.  

Austin Brant wrote at 2015-07-26 18:44:30

Austin Brant wrote at 2015-07-26 18:55:00

Austin Brant wrote at 2015-07-26 19:07:08
Update: more of my research shows that there was a king of Morocco named Ismael who reigned before, during, and after 1721 and his portrait has a bit of a resemblance to the coin. Moroccans did and still use Arabic writing, but with this presents a dilemma. If the coin indeed does have Moroccan/Arabic descent, then why are we to assume that the date is in English? It most certainly could be in Arabian, for it also appears that way. So if it is written in Arabian, then are we to assume that the date (if it is one) is 1721 when translated too? Doubful. At this point it could be as early as the 16th century or as late as the 20th century when the coin was created. So once again, the explanation of it being a fake wins by default due still to the lack of evidence. I also forgot to include in my last report that this was in fact the date of the golden age of piracy, making it more likely to be a fake, even if a highly detailed one.

Southamerica wrote at 2015-07-31 19:56:21
Hi, I live down by South America and I also found this coin quite a while ago. I've been wondering what it is?

adrian wrote at 2016-01-13 20:33:45
I have also found this type of Aerobic coin and have friends which have verified this existing coin . Amen coin which I have gone through the information which back in 1721 which I see 1741 on the coin found out the coin was never circulated and believe it has a high volume which back in that time Persia took over that section which probably never had circulation and coins were lost and settled in the united states which appeared here in the usa and other countries . my name is Adrian any question and answers I would like feedback.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Brad Swain