Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1948 two shilling

deborah wrote at 2010-03-29 21:40:41
Sorry, but you are incorrect about the composition of the first coin.  If it is a 1945 two shilling coin then it is indeed silver and not cupronickel as you stated. The metal content was changed, as for all silver coins, from 1947 to 75% copper, 25% nickel. This removal of all the silver meant that most of the earlier coins which contained silver were removed from circulation fairly quickly (see Gresham's law).  

kenmiller wrote at 2013-07-19 11:57:19
 the 1845 florin should be silver since the silver content of these coins was removed in 1947. How ever, I have a 1948 and a 1949 florin that should be copper nickel, but neither is magnetic. Were any of these coins minted with a silver content?

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Brad Swain

I have been a World Coin and Paper Money collector since about 1965. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have on World coins or currency, tokens, unusual or unknown pieces and attempt to give you estimates of value and historical information about them in a polite and prompt manner.

45 years collecting coins and paper money.

BA History, BA Geography - Virginia Tech