Coin and Paper Money Collecting/US currency with yellow back

Squiggles wrote at 2010-01-02 03:45:22
something has to be up with this bill, I also received a 1963 $1 note tonight that looks EXACTLY like this bill but with a different serial number. I can't find any other info on this bill on the internet but its so unlikely to me that this is caused by exposure if 2 different bills have exactly the same damage caused by a chemical. Furthermore if it was caused by bleach or detergent how come the front of both of these bills are completely intact?  

Jeep48 wrote at 2011-04-07 17:18:56
One problem I have with the answer concerning the yellow back bills that only have affected the 1963 batch.  If only the green turns to yellow on the back of the bill, why doesn't the green on the front turn yellow.  My bill is serial number J58119294C.  Are there any other bills in sequence to this that people have that are affected.  Thanks for the help.

weasle94 wrote at 2011-06-12 02:34:43
I have approximately a dozen notes from $1 to $10 with a yellow back .I have started collecting them,although no one can give me a decent answer as to how they got that way . why does one side get affected and not the other? Anyway ,I will buy them @ do not pay much because of no value other than the face ,but I like them .Thanks Weasle94

mrc5352 wrote at 2014-12-30 22:34:03
I have a similar bill (somewhere) from 1966 I believe. The front is regular (not a silver certificate), but the back is yellowish/gold in color except for one irregular sized dot a little smaller than the size of a hole punch (think notebook paper) of what appears to be the standard green ink.

Any thoughts?

MaryD44 wrote at 2016-02-24 18:06:25
Interesting, because I also have a 1963 one-dollar bill that is yellow on the back.  I've had it since the late 1980s.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.