Coin and Paper Money Collecting/sovereign george v 1917

lapidary2 wrote at 2012-12-17 10:59:49
In fact, this is a very obvious counterfeit. The engraving is crude and the denticles are wrong.

The 1917 London mint sovereign is a very rare coin and one of the most counterfeited. No serious collector would ever buy this coin unless it was authenticated by a credible third party grader or the Royal Mint.

The Standard Catalogue of World Coins is not a reliable source for authenticating this coin because the images are far too crude. Coins of England & the United Kingdom, by Spink is a much better source but even that may prove inadequate.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Brad Swain