Coin and Paper Money Collecting/sovereign george v 1917

lapidary2 wrote at 2012-12-17 10:59:49
In fact, this is a very obvious counterfeit. The engraving is crude and the denticles are wrong.

The 1917 London mint sovereign is a very rare coin and one of the most counterfeited. No serious collector would ever buy this coin unless it was authenticated by a credible third party grader or the Royal Mint.

The Standard Catalogue of World Coins is not a reliable source for authenticating this coin because the images are far too crude. Coins of England & the United Kingdom, by Spink is a much better source but even that may prove inadequate.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Brad Swain

I have been a World Coin and Paper Money collector since about 1965. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have on World coins or currency, tokens, unusual or unknown pieces and attempt to give you estimates of value and historical information about them in a polite and prompt manner.

45 years collecting coins and paper money.

BA History, BA Geography - Virginia Tech