Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Government of Texas currency

QUESTION: I have a 1938 Government of Texas $20 promisory note. It is hand numbered No 569. It is hand dated April 1st, 1838. Signed by Sam houston, Pres., and Henry Smith, Treasurer. It is in excellent condition, printed on parchment. The bill is presumed to be original with it's history known for the last 100 years.

How do I verify it's authenticity? What is it worth?

ANSWER: Sadly, that is a reproduction:

It has no real value

QUESTION: I have personal knowledge of this bill since 1960. It has been in my family since long before that. Were reproductions of these bills being made prior to 1960? When might it have been made? Why were they making reproductions back then?

A lot of those were made starting in the 1920s and sold at museums and historical sites as souvenirs.  There really is no chance that it is authentic.  There is a list of reproduction currency on this site that also has value information about rare currency.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Manning Garrett

I can answer any question relating to valuing US Currency. My specialty is national currency, large-size currency, and small size issues between 1928 and 1957. Many bank notes have variables that can make two seemingly identical notes have very different values. That is why it is so important to work with an expert. I also work with rare Canadian banknotes as well as some foreign currency (mostly British Commonwealth countries). I have participated either as a buyer or seller in more than 500 different coin auctions.

I have been a full time currency dealer since 2006. I set up at about ten national coin and currency shows per year all across the country. My company has a retail location in Greenville, SC. I also run a website about old money values. I am also currently the director of currency auctions at Stacks Bowers. So I am in a unique position to see, value, and sell millions of dollars worth of paper money on a annual basis. I have been lucky enough to sell hundreds of individual banknotes worth over $10,000. I personally hold several world records for highest price paid for certain categories of banknotes. While I personally don't deal a tremendous amount of coins, I can provide sound advice on where to sell coins in NYC, and other major metro areas across the country. I have seen the worst of the worst and the best of the best when it comes to coin dealers.

South Carolina Numismatic Association (Life Member and Past Board Member), Society of Paper Money Collectors (Life Member), American Numismatic Association (Member), Florida United Numismatist Association (Member)

Bank Note Reporter, Chicago Tribune

Clemson University BS in Corporate Finance, Western Carolina University Masters in Accountancy