Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1965 Churchill Crown

lapidary wrote at 2013-11-25 08:36:49
For the record, "Specimen" is not another word for proof. Proof dies are specially prepared, typically with frosted devices (elements of the design) and a mirror finish field (the background) and a proof coin may actually be struck three times to provide greater depth and more detail than would be the case with a normal coin - called a "business strike" in the USA.

Countries often sell specimen sets, which are still business strike coins but specially selected because they are nice clean strikes and above all, do not have bag marks and scratches from being hit by other coins.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

barry cutts