Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1965 Churchill Crown

lapidary wrote at 2013-11-25 08:36:49
For the record, "Specimen" is not another word for proof. Proof dies are specially prepared, typically with frosted devices (elements of the design) and a mirror finish field (the background) and a proof coin may actually be struck three times to provide greater depth and more detail than would be the case with a normal coin - called a "business strike" in the USA.

Countries often sell specimen sets, which are still business strike coins but specially selected because they are nice clean strikes and above all, do not have bag marks and scratches from being hit by other coins.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

barry cutts

Renowned technology and business copywriter as well as established specialist in British and French coins; of any period for British but post 1780-ish for French; and any denomination....Origins and history of British silver coins (crowns, halfcrowns and florins) primarily from the reign of Charles I onwards. Matters relating to their value, saleability, condition, desirability and related issues. Broadly speaking I am pretty clued-up on most European coins too. Not American coins at all.

Passionately involved in British coins for over 15 years.

No organisational affiliations. ANA recently applied for, awaiting response.

Educated to Bachelor of Arts (with honours) degree level in English and European Literature.