Coin and Paper Money Collecting/discolored coins in album

Mr. Anon wrote at 2013-02-17 21:18:44
Yes it's an old post, and the answer was long, but very incomplete.

If you've several albums stored beside each other, and ALL the coins in 1 album are all tarnishing at an alarming rate (by comparision to the other albums).

Consider what that albums pages are made of.

For example:

PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) will quickly tarnish and even react with the coins.

Cellophane is a water/moisture attractant, and we all know that water is not good for coins.

Paper consider it to be very bad for coins, the acids will react and tarnish coins.

Archival grade paper/mat boards can be good.  But make sure you do not use buffered paper it contains calcium chloride which attracts and holds water/moisture...

Glassine made before the mid-1990's has acids etc and will react with coin

Don't use Polyurethane

PP (Polypropylene) is preferred for coins

But PE (Polyethylene) can also be used, just keep PE out of sunlight.

LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene) could be used ie ZipLock bag

But make sure the ziplock bag is PP or PE and not one of the many, many other harmful Poly's

Cleaning PVC tarnished/damaged coins should be left up to the experts.

But I would recommend giving the coins a clean before putting them in a new album.

Use a glass/ceramic bowl/dish.

Put a drop or two of liquid dishsoap in distilled water.

Dip the coin in briefly, with rubber tipped coin tongs.

Then rinse in a second dish of distilled water.

Place on clean fine cotton towel and Carefully Dab the obvious water off, then let sit for a few minutes.

Any oils or whatever from the old album page should now be removed from the coins surface.

So, place in album when they look dry.

But if any of these coins are worth $100.00 or more, then have a professional (ANA &/or RCNA Registered) coin dealer assess and recommend a coin cleaning service.

Personally, I'd ask 2 or 3 different coin dealers before a cleaning.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern