Coin and Paper Money Collecting/water marks on a 2001 series fifty dollar bill

Dear sir, I have a 2001 seriers fifty dollar bill. It has the blue and red fibers throughout,it has the strip that says usa 50 running through it , it passed the marker test @ the store,but this bill has the water of lincoln on it is this a misprinted bill ???? And is it valuible or illeagle please awnser me at  or  

It is popular to wash $5s and print them with $50s or $100s over them.  This way the paper feels correct and it passes an ink marker test.

Your note is not really counterfeit, but I would say that it is criminally altered.  However, in a century it could certainly be considered old collectible money.  There is an active market today of people who collect counterfeits from the 19th century.  I think it is technically illegal to own the counterfeits; but at this point they look so foreign that I don't think most people care.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Manning Garrett

I can answer any question relating to valuing US Currency. My specialty is national currency, large-size currency, and small size issues between 1928 and 1957. Many bank notes have variables that can make two seemingly identical notes have very different values. That is why it is so important to work with an expert. I also work with rare Canadian banknotes as well as some foreign currency (mostly British Commonwealth countries). I have participated either as a buyer or seller in more than 500 different coin auctions.

I have been a full time currency dealer since 2006. I set up at about ten national coin and currency shows per year all across the country. My company has a retail location in Greenville, SC. I also run a website about old money values. I am also currently the director of currency auctions at Stacks Bowers. So I am in a unique position to see, value, and sell millions of dollars worth of paper money on a annual basis. I have been lucky enough to sell hundreds of individual banknotes worth over $10,000. I personally hold several world records for highest price paid for certain categories of banknotes. While I personally don't deal a tremendous amount of coins, I can provide sound advice on where to sell coins in NYC, and other major metro areas across the country. I have seen the worst of the worst and the best of the best when it comes to coin dealers.

South Carolina Numismatic Association (Life Member and Past Board Member), Society of Paper Money Collectors (Life Member), American Numismatic Association (Member), Florida United Numismatist Association (Member)

Bank Note Reporter, Chicago Tribune

Clemson University BS in Corporate Finance, Western Carolina University Masters in Accountancy