Coin and Paper Money Collecting/"STEEL CITY" token

Doozr wrote at 2010-03-16 00:46:38
Hi, I run the blog you linked to and I thought I'd best add a quick explanation. The "tokens" used at the beer festival were made of paper, so are unlikely to be what you're after.

However, Sheffield has a great steel making heritage and is indeed known as the "steel city". Many souvenirs, trinkets and other commemorative pieces are made to celebrate this heritage. However, Sheffield is famous for stainless steel, so it wouldn't be rusted.  

fairyice1215 wrote at 2011-04-06 05:06:48
I have one as well, though mine has no rust on it. but it was scratched(if i remember correctly i found it on the side of the road or in the parking-lot). through my searches online, i only found one other and it, too was covered in rust(it was being sold on eBay). the seller also knew nothing about it. it seems to me as though there is only three known. yours, mine, and the one on eBay. if you still have it, hold on to it as i will mine. who knows, it may be actually worth something sometime :)

Jason Hensley wrote at 2012-12-10 17:54:37
http://scity.com/coin-mechanisms

The above link is to a company that makes coin-operated vending machine mechanisms. They sell plugs and tokens that are certain sizes for their machines. I believe it is one of theirs. They are located in Ashland, Ohio

metaldetector wrote at 2012-12-12 00:37:49
I was out metal detecting and another person there found what sounds like the same token.Steel city on one side and blank on the other,it was also covered in rust.This was found at an old castle site in Massachusetts.The site however was turned into a park so a lot of new things being found also.

cgilmo20 wrote at 2013-01-03 21:11:01
Electrical boxes commonly have metal punch outs for running wiring that read, "STEEL CITY" on one side only.  

Sue wrote at 2016-07-30 21:58:20
Found the same coin that has Steel City on one side, but nothing on other side.  No rust.  Found it in an attic of a house I rent in Hershey, PA.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern