Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Edward viii 1937 Penny

gary wrote at 2012-08-25 23:45:55
Hi, there i have one of these coins it also has the HP under the rear of the neck i am wondering if this is also one of the missing coins?? i am in croydon could you recomend somewhere for me to take it to verify it?

Fido wrote at 2015-07-28 03:56:57
In 1956, when I was 6 years old in Middlesbrough, I was given my weekly allocation of three pennies by my parents.  Being that sort of child, I noticed that one of them had Edward VIII on it, which made it different from the coins with Elizabeth, George V and Vi and Edward VII.

I indicated this to my mother, saying words like "This penny has Edward the Eighth on it.  Who was he?"  My mother did not look at the coin and her reply was along the lines of "It can't be Edward the Eighth; it must be Henry the Eighth."

So I used the penny, with one other, to buy an ice cream from the vendor whose ice-cream van came around periodically.

I wonder what happened to that penny.  I have absolutely no doubt that it was an Edward VIII penny

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

barry cutts

Renowned technology and business copywriter as well as established specialist in British and French coins; of any period for British but post 1780-ish for French; and any denomination....Origins and history of British silver coins (crowns, halfcrowns and florins) primarily from the reign of Charles I onwards. Matters relating to their value, saleability, condition, desirability and related issues. Broadly speaking I am pretty clued-up on most European coins too. Not American coins at all.

Passionately involved in British coins for over 15 years.

No organisational affiliations. ANA recently applied for, awaiting response.

Educated to Bachelor of Arts (with honours) degree level in English and European Literature.