Coin and Paper Money Collecting/royal black knights of ireland token

Cruithin wrote at 2011-09-05 20:52:24
The Royal Black Institution was actually formed in 1797 in Ireland. There are preceptories or Black lodges in Toronto and other places but it's history dates back to two years after the formation of the Orange Order. The Royal Black Institution can be seen as a progression from the Orange Order. RBP No342 was instituted in Toronto in 1898. This token is worn more than any other I've seen so it's probably quite old. As to the value, I would think in this condition it may be worth about $20-$30. But that is just a guess.

cindy wrote at 2011-10-18 01:48:44
there are more than one style of this token, mine has on the reverse side "maple Leaf RBP 337 Toronto, A piece of Money Instituted May 27, 1898

Phil wrote at 2012-05-11 15:59:27
Actually the token may be from the 1800's. Mine is dated May 27, 1898 and has Toronto inscribed on it as well and has 337 in the middle of the leaf.

RBP398 wrote at 2013-12-29 16:39:07
Any dates stamped on Royal Black Preceptory tokens only refer to the date of the start date of the individual location.

The first tokens in North America were produced by a company from Toronto Canada called FARRANCE & JENKINSON, they were a jeweler. These were produced beginning 1911 until sometime around 1915 when other manufacturers became involved.

These earliest designs were only stamped on one side with the reverse usually having RBP and the number punched in using letter stamps.

My own preceptory has a date of 1874 on the tokens and they were produced less than 10yrs ago.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits