Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1988 Series A Small Head $20 note

I have a Non Circulated condition 1988 Series A $20 small head note From New York, New York. I was wondering the value. Also I have 1988 Series A $5 note Great condition lightly circulated no star in the serial number. Also, wondering the value.

Thank you so much for your help.

Hey Jimmy, the short answer is that each bill is common and really not worth much more than face value.  Check out our site about rare currency to see images of what is considered to be rare and collectible.  If you could get someone to pay 20% over face value then you would be doing really good.  Hundreds of millions of those were printed.  Uncirculated packs of 100 really only bring a couple bucks over face value for the pack.  They just really aren't collectible right now.  It is certainly neat to see now that it is 24 years old.  However, it is still about rarity, not just condition and age.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Manning Garrett

I can answer any question relating to valuing US Currency. My specialty is national currency, large-size currency, and small size issues between 1928 and 1957. Many bank notes have variables that can make two seemingly identical notes have very different values. That is why it is so important to work with an expert. I also work with rare Canadian banknotes as well as some foreign currency (mostly British Commonwealth countries). I have participated either as a buyer or seller in more than 500 different coin auctions.

I have been a full time currency dealer since 2006. I set up at about ten national coin and currency shows per year all across the country. My company has a retail location in Greenville, SC. I also run a website about old money values. I am also currently the director of currency auctions at Stacks Bowers. So I am in a unique position to see, value, and sell millions of dollars worth of paper money on a annual basis. I have been lucky enough to sell hundreds of individual banknotes worth over $10,000. I personally hold several world records for highest price paid for certain categories of banknotes. While I personally don't deal a tremendous amount of coins, I can provide sound advice on where to sell coins in NYC, and other major metro areas across the country. I have seen the worst of the worst and the best of the best when it comes to coin dealers.

South Carolina Numismatic Association (Life Member and Past Board Member), Society of Paper Money Collectors (Life Member), American Numismatic Association (Member), Florida United Numismatist Association (Member)

Bank Note Reporter, Chicago Tribune

Clemson University BS in Corporate Finance, Western Carolina University Masters in Accountancy