Coin and Paper Money Collecting/copper nickel

Question
Joe, i think I have one of those nickels that was printed in the penny blank. its in good condition however smudged, stained, etc. and I cannot see a date. what do you suggest?

Answer
Hi Ron,

The first thing is to weight it on a digital gram scale.  The weight will tell us a lot about the coin.  But bear in mind that if you are simply looking at the color of the coin, it can be deceiving.  Nickels are actually 75% copper and 25% nickel.  The coin may be tarnished, or copper plated on top of the regular surface.  there are many possibilities that make it necessary that the coin be physically inspected.

Pennies should weigh:  Up until 1982 3.11 grams  after 1982 2.5 grams

Nickels weigh 5 grams.

Try weighing it first.

Good Luck!
Regards
Joe Hylas
Omega Precious Metals

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas