Coin and Paper Money Collecting/copper nickel

Joe, i think I have one of those nickels that was printed in the penny blank. its in good condition however smudged, stained, etc. and I cannot see a date. what do you suggest?

Hi Ron,

The first thing is to weight it on a digital gram scale.  The weight will tell us a lot about the coin.  But bear in mind that if you are simply looking at the color of the coin, it can be deceiving.  Nickels are actually 75% copper and 25% nickel.  The coin may be tarnished, or copper plated on top of the regular surface.  there are many possibilities that make it necessary that the coin be physically inspected.

Pennies should weigh:  Up until 1982 3.11 grams  after 1982 2.5 grams

Nickels weigh 5 grams.

Try weighing it first.

Good Luck!
Joe Hylas
Omega Precious Metals

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow