Coin and Paper Money Collecting/dime with copper ring

Question
QUESTION: I have a dime that was minted in what looks like 1992 or 1993, the last number is hard to read because it has a copper rim around it like a penny. How would I find out if it is authentic or if someone did it other than when it was minted?

ANSWER: Lori:

The normal dimes struck during this period are made of a layered material. The two outer layers are Cu Ni (Copper Nickel), while the center is pure Cu (Copper). Sometimes the way the coins are struck/manufactured, a small amount of copper can appear around the edge of the coin. Without a photo, I can't offer an opinion as to the authenticity of your coin. Altered or damaged coins have no added numismatic value.

Here are some examples of non-errors: http://conecaonline.org/content/OhNo.htm

Check this site out for examples of real errors: http://www.coinsite.com/html/userrorprices.asp

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to it's value and if it is authentic at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area: http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.  

QUESTION: What would be the best way to take or send a picture of it to you, or would there be a dealer or expert in my area, Provo Utah that would know if it is authentic or not?

Answer
Lori:

Ask a follow-up question, and attach a photo. You should be able to attach a picture or image from a digital camera or a saved picture in your computer. Just click on the link for attaching a photo and it should link your computer or camera if attached to your camera. go to your picture file and select the photo you would like to send and it should go through.

Only one dealer in UT.

CAMPBELL, H. Robert (Bob)    PNG #537 since 1996
Address:   
ALL ABOUT COINS, INC.
1123 E. 2100 South
Salt Lake City, Utah    84106
Phone:   
(801) 467-8636
Fax:    (801) 467-4471
Email:   allaboutcoins@qwestoffice.net
Notes:    200+ different books and a complete line of supplies for sale.
Specialties:    Rainbow toning on coins, western trade tokens & medals. Mormon gold coins, currency, tokens & medals. New showroom and expanded area, nearly 5 times larger. Past ANA President.
Hours:    Tues.-Fri. 10-6, Sat. 10-5 MST

Good Luck.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern