Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Indian Cents

Question
I am trying to figure out why some of my 1860/1862/ and 1863 pennies thick and some thin?  Did they make both compositions in those years.  I thought they only made the Copper Nickel in those years.  I have roughly 450 Indian pennies and do you have a recommended book to look up varieties?

Answer
Brad,

All small cents through 1863 are going to be copper nickel and struck on a thick planchet.  1864 was the transition year in which they made both copper nickel and bronze pieces.  As for books on varieties go, I always recommend "The Red Book" for all around knowledge.  "The Cherrypicker's Guide" would be my choice for varieties.  Volume 1 is all you would need for Indian Cents...

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Steven T. Feltner