Coin and Paper Money Collecting/pope paul vi silver coin

QUESTION: i have a silver pope paul vi coin & i would like to know if it is worth anything on the front it has a picture of christ on it and the words misterivm fidei caritatis & on the back it has a coat of arms and the words pavlvs vi bogotensi evchar.e cvnctis gentibvs conventvi interfvt a mcmlxviii  & has papal arms over keys surmounted by tiara with ribbon it was for a visit to colombia in 1968 it is in a red presentation box

ANSWER: Hi Alice,
This is the design of an official government sanctioned medal for the 1968 Papal visit. They were made in brass, silver and gold. There are also novelty replica versions out there is brass, bronze and other metals. I would really need to see a clear picture of the piece to be able to assess it. You can attach one to a follow-up question on this site.
Thanks for the question! =)

QUESTION: there is a stamp on the medal though it is very small, pictures atttched

Hi again Alice,
It appears to be a genuine silver example. It should be stamped "800" at the bottom below the crest. Value is between $75 and $100 US, with the lower end of the range for an auction and the higher end for a retail situation.
Thanks again for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).