Coin and Paper Money Collecting/possible rare find

do you have any knowledge of coins being found with a Rockwell hardness test mark? I have read a little about it and know most of the planchets that were tested were discarded,but a few got struck and made it into circulation.any info or website or anyone i can contact on the subject would help me greatly.If there are such coins that "slipped" out,what kind of value do they have?thank you

This type of error is relatively scarce. Alan Herbert, error coin expert, identifies this error as II-A-44 Hardness Test Marked Die (IE), Rarity Level: 7 ......Values: $100 up. See:

From: Leroy Van Allen, a noted Variety expert, states "A number of Peace dollars have rounded raised dots on their surfaces. These were caused by the conical point of a Rockwell hardness tester used to test the hardness of the dies after they were hardened. This produced a small depression on the die face which showed up as a raised dot on the coin. Some coins of the years 1921 through 1924 show these raised dots on either side. Some dates even show multiple dots scattered over various parts of the coin."

Error dealer, Fred Weinberg, may be able to supply you with examples and/or more information. Contact him at:

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.