Coin and Paper Money Collecting/quarter error?

I have a quarter dated 199? cannot see a final number. It is also missing the i and the b in liberty. The coin is in good shape with defined edges and not worn. Cannot see a mint mark. Can you give me some information about the coin? I am wondering if it is a mint error. Thank you very much for your time. Cliff

Hi Cliff,

I actually get asked about coins like this on a regular basis.  What usually has happened is that the press that stamped this coin was lubricated right before this coin was struck, and excess grease got into the stamping die.  This grease gets into the crevices of the die and prevents the normal flow of metal from the coin blank when it gets stamped, resulting in missing letters and numbers, like your coin.  As more coins get stamped, the grease works its way out and the missing features return.

Considered a minor stamping error, it has little collector interest, thus little value -- perhaps about a dollar.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College