Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1851 Indian Head Silver Dollar

1851 O
1851 O  

1851 R
1851 R  
I have one of these odd coins which looks like a US coin but obviously is not. It looks pocket-worn (circulated) but was never really spendable so it must be a fake, but I would still like to find the history of it.
I have a .pdf scan and jpegs of both sides if you would like to see them. I will attach it to this note.

Hi James,

No Clue, never seen anything like it.  During this period, dollars were of the seated liberty variety, or gold (California Fractional pieces)

I can't locate my Pattern book to look it up so I can't help you there.  Maybe it's a pattern?  Although I have never seen on in the book like that.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow