Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1857 3-dollar gold coin

Question
3-dollar gold coin
3-dollar gold coin  

3-dollar coin
3-dollar coin  
Hello, I'm trying to determine the value of a 3-dollar coin from 1857, gold, with an image of a woman, I believe, wearing a crown titled Liberty.

Two images attached. Thank you.

Answer
Mary,

It is difficult to determine the condition of the coin based on the photos provided.  However, it seems to be either a 40 or 45 on the 70 point scale.  This being said, it should be worth around $800 to $1,000 to a collector.  A dealer would of course pay lower since they have to make a profit.  I will mention, many $3 gold pieces have been counterfeited and so I suggest taking it to a professional to verify authenticity.  Also on a side note, whatever you do, DO NOT clean the coin.  It will take down the value substantially.

Steve

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Steven T. Feltner