Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1857 3-dollar gold coin

3-dollar gold coin
3-dollar gold coin  

3-dollar coin
3-dollar coin  
Hello, I'm trying to determine the value of a 3-dollar coin from 1857, gold, with an image of a woman, I believe, wearing a crown titled Liberty.

Two images attached. Thank you.

It is difficult to determine the condition of the coin based on the photos provided.  However, it seems to be either a 40 or 45 on the 70 point scale.  This being said, it should be worth around $800 to $1,000 to a collector.  A dealer would of course pay lower since they have to make a profit.  I will mention, many $3 gold pieces have been counterfeited and so I suggest taking it to a professional to verify authenticity.  Also on a side note, whatever you do, DO NOT clean the coin.  It will take down the value substantially.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Steven T. Feltner

I can answer most questions regarding United States coinage from colonial times to present. I am aware of current market values and can usually give a close estimate as to the value of a coin. If you could send a picture it makes it easier to place a value. I am not educated in the area of world coins or any type of currency. I am an avid researcher and would love to tackle any questions you may have for me!

I have worked a total of 8 years as a professional coin dealer. I have attended many numismatic classes and seminars.

American Numismatic Association

The Numismatist

College degree in business.

ANA YN of the year 2004