Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Bahamas Proof Set

Question
Dear Dmitry,

I noticed that you had answered a question about Bahamian Gold Proof sets.
I have a four coin set dated 1967 with $100, $50, $20 and $10 coins in a blue Royal Mint case.
Would you be able to advise me as to their approximate value please and tell me whether you know how many were produced?

Kind regards,

Tim

Answer
Hi Tim,
There were 850 of the proof sets produced, as well as 1,200 non-proof sets. Each set contains 2.12 ounces of pure gold content.
The unfortunate thing with modern bullion coins produced for collectors rather than monetary use is that they do not have much of a premium above gold value even for low mintage pieces.
In an auction scenario such a set may do 10%-15% above melt value, however the auction fees bring it back down to bare gold bullion value.
In a retail situation, such as a straight sale in a coin shop or through a reputable dealer, the asking price would be from 25% to 50% above melt value. The downside here is that it can take a very long time to find a buyer.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits