Coin and Paper Money Collecting/cents

how can I clean a cent with corrosion, etc. on it so I can read the date?

Hi Ralph,
Cleaning the coin will destroy all collector value.  I don't advise anyone to clean coins.

That said, if a copper coin is corroded (green), the old timer way is to put the coin in an air tight container with olive oil. Seal it up, and put it aside for a year or so.  I'm not a chemist, but I can tell you that for some reason it works and does little damage to the coin.

Good Luck!

Joe Hylas

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow