Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Chilean 4 Reales coin

Could you please give me a ballpark value for an 1806 Chilean 4 Reales coin. It has enough wear on the obverse side so that a little of the wording is hard to read. Also someone has imprinted it three times with a metal stamp with the following...L.COLTON for whatever reason. The other side is in better condition with the wear mostly on the crestted shield. The words are very sharp and easy to read. I am not able to provide an image. Thank you for whatever help you can provide.

Hi Leonard,
An interesting piece you have.
A typical Chilean 4 reales of this year and with significant wear is worth up to $100.
The interesting part is that the "L.COLTON" stamp is that of a known and cataloged merchant, making it a merchant's countermark which are hotly collected.
Realistically it about doubles the value of the coin, possibly even more.
Great find.

Thanks for the question! =)  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).