Coin and Paper Money Collecting/coin

Hi, i have a coin that says DEI.GRATIA.1798.CAROLUS 4 and on the back says HISPAN.ET IND.REX. M (with a tiny circle above it) 8R.F.M. and i was wondering how much its worth. It has moderate ware. Also if you could tell me what its made of that would be cool just message me on yahoo if you can. Thanks

Hi Tyler,
The 4 reales coins are relatively scarce compared to the other denominations. They are made in silver, close to .900 purity. A typical mid-grade coin falls in the $100-$150 range, though the specific grade will make a significant difference in value. The values pretty much double for each grade you go up. There are fakes out there, so it's important to weigh your coin. Fakes are usually below 13 grams while a mid-grade coin will be over 13.
There is also an over-date variety with a faintly visible 7 beneath the 8 in the date, but this usually does not affect the value.
Thanks again for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).