Coin and Paper Money Collecting/misprinted coins

I worked at a bank in Minnesota for 20 years, 6 of the years as a teller with a duty of rolling loose coins purchased from the Federal Reserve Bank into rolls.  During that time I came across 2 misprinted coins.  A quarter back in 1988, (dated 1988), and a penny so mis-stamped, that only half the image is visable on both sides, and unfortunately the year was not stamped on the coin.  I found both of them, when they were stuck in the rolling machine since they were mis-stamped.  I would like to know the value of both of these coins.   I have a picture of them that I would love to send.  Thank you!

Hi Barbara,

These are known as off-center strike errors, caused by the coin blank not getting fully inserted into the press when the coin was struck, so the image on the coin is not centered.

The no-date penny is worth a dollar or two -- the quarter is worth about $5

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College