Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Odd Penny

Hello, I came across this coin today is there anything you could tell me about it? Ive never seen anything like this?! Thank you!!

Hi Darren,

Thank you for the pictures.

What you have is known as an encased penny.  It's hard to say where or why it was put into its encasement -- I did not see any writing on the encasement.  From the looks of it, this was probably carried in somebody's pocket for a long time.

These encasements usually said something like "Good Luck", or had somebody's advertisement on them.  If you can make out any writing on yours, it may help to determine its origin.  Otherwise, it's value will not be a lot -- perhaps a couple dollars.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College