Coin and Paper Money Collecting/rare German coin

Please let me know value of this coin.

Front of coin:       2

It is in mint condition. What makes this coin unusual is that
it opens up--it unscrews---looks like it was minted that way
maybe it was used to hide messages---nothing is the center when you unscrew it---very unusual

Hi Walt,
You definitely have a cool coin. The Austrian 2 kreuzer of this year are mostly common, depending on the mint mark below the date. Coins back in those days were used to hide something. Sometimes for smuggling, but during this type in Europe the goal was predominantly to hide a valuable gold coin.
A coin of this size and thickness would have been sufficient for concealing a gold ducat, which was the major type of gold coin used for local and international trade in Europe.
It's definitely a popular item with collectors. In mint condition I would expect it to do at least $50 as an auction, with retail value being up to double that. The condition of it is not so important considering it's now a "crafted" item.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).