Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1969 penny

Hello Joe,
Well i was going thru my coins in my car and i came across a 1969 penny, Now im very new to being able to tell if its a double die  etc.. but i noticed something very odd, i had to go into a better light and look down on the coin and under the 6 in 1969 there is a covered up S(like it just fell off or something) as plain as day. the coin looks to be in great shape. And im going to go get a digital camera in just a few minutes so i can show people my find. Just from what i have told you and i understand its hard to judge what you cant see but is this a common 1969 error or do i have something here (maybe?)
Thank You for your time.

Hi Nick,

It sounds like one of 2 things.
First off, the dies could have been really worn when the coin was minted, hence the mint mark is just a shadow.  The other option is that since proof coins are struck with the "S" mintmark, possibly the old proof dies were used to make the coin after the mintmark was removed (or partially removed) from the dies.

Either way, it doesn't sound like naything special but a good photo wouldn't hurt.

Joe Hylas

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow