Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1985 zinc penny

1985 zinc penny with present instead of mint mark..can you tell me about this coin

Hi Judy,

This is a novelty item -- something that was done after the coin left the mint.  Somebody with a "present" stamp took a normal penny and stamped that image into it.  I don't know why they did it -- probably some kind of promotion.  It's the same kind of thing as the Lincoln facing Kennedy pennies, where an image of John F. Kennedy has been stamped onto a Lincoln penny.  Or the 50 state penny collections, where a different state image is stamped onto each penny.

You can see some examples here :

Novelty value for this is less than a dollar.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College