Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Canadian loonies

Hi, I just found a few loonies among my aunt's things - usually they are gold coloured, but these from 1987 and  1990 are silver coloured, and from 1988 is bronze coloured. They are all magnetic like the loonie is typically. I'm wondering why there are these different colours? Are they worth anything special/worth saving?
Thanks for your help!

Hi Andrea,
Although there have been some commemorative loonies made in silver, the fact that they are magnetic means they are not actually solid silver. The one that is bronze colored may just be toning or the result of being exposed to high heat, I see this pretty often with loonies. The silver colored ones are most likely silver plated, also something that is not uncommon for all sorts of coins. They would not have increased value expect maybe a little for the silver plated ones which some people seem to like.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).