Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Just being curious!

I have a 1985 quarter with one side is gold looking is it valuable? What year on down on money that might be worth something?

Hi Venice,

I would have to see pictures of the quarter to see what's going on with it -- also, how many grams does it weigh?

For regular-issue coins with some value: any dimes, quarters, half dollars, and dollars that are dated 1964 or older will be made of silver.

Any half dollars from 1965-1970, and dollars from 1971-1974 that have an "S" mintmark, are partial silver.

For the most part, for any coin to have a shot at having significant collector value, it's going to have to be dated older than 1934 -- very few coins newer than that have mintages low enough to have any collector value -- errors and varieties being the exception.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College