Coin and Paper Money Collecting/King James ll enameled coin

King James ll coin
King James ll coin  

King James ll coin
King James ll coin  
Can you tell me anything about this enameled coin. This coin has been held by a family from Scotland for well over a hundred years. The markings on the enameled side line up with the coin design except for the year 1677. Is this like folk art from that time frame.

Thank you,

Hi Ted,
This is actually a British coin rather than a Scottish one. The Scottish coins made during the reign of James VII (as James II) have a different design, most notably with the bust of the king facing right instead of left.
The 1677 date is definitely someone taking creative license, as you said. The James II coins were only made  between 1685 and 1688.
It's difficult to tell what denomination it is from the picture, as they all had similar designs and the enamel covers some of it. The size of the coin would answer that question.
Thanks! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).