Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Miss stamped 1995D Roosevelt Dime

I think that I received a miss stamped Roosevelt Dime (1995D).  The defect is to the back of the head where the head has a bald spot and the hair on the back of the head is distorted and sunken rathan raised.  The neck seems to also be distorted the rest of the coin seems to be in relative good shape. Are there any other coins with this defect??? Kent

Hi Kent,

It sounds like your coin has been exposed to heat -- like maybe a house fire -- and the distortions are caused by differences in expansion rates between the copper core and the copper/nickel outer layer.

Without seeing it, this is my best guess.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College