Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Odd Nickel

Question
I have a nickel that appears to be only struck on one side and has a smooth off copper color back.  The back is smaller in diameter than the front and almost looks like it was to be the core of the nickel with the front and back stamped around it and the back was never put on.  Any ideas?  i forwarded three pictures to .
Thanks,  Frank

Answer
Hi Frank,

Thank you for the pictures.

That coin did not come from the mint that way.  What you have is one half of what's known as a a magician's coin.  Somebody altered the half you have, and altered another nickel to make a hollowed out area that your half will fit into.  The two pieces are glued and fitted together to form a two-tailed nickel -- a novelty trick coin.

As it is, it has no significant value.  If you had the other half, it would be worth a couple dollars.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore