Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Odd Nickel

I have a nickel that appears to be only struck on one side and has a smooth off copper color back.  The back is smaller in diameter than the front and almost looks like it was to be the core of the nickel with the front and back stamped around it and the back was never put on.  Any ideas?  i forwarded three pictures to .
Thanks,  Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the pictures.

That coin did not come from the mint that way.  What you have is one half of what's known as a a magician's coin.  Somebody altered the half you have, and altered another nickel to make a hollowed out area that your half will fit into.  The two pieces are glued and fitted together to form a two-tailed nickel -- a novelty trick coin.

As it is, it has no significant value.  If you had the other half, it would be worth a couple dollars.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College