Coin and Paper Money Collecting/he-peh province tokens

I have seen people say the He-Peh Province 7 mace and 2 candereen trade token is a counterfeit of the Hu-peh 7 mace and 2 candereen silver coin. Others call it a trade token.

What is your opinion on this? Is it a trade token or a counterfeit. I have seen counterfeits that are not nearly as well made as the trade token.

Thanks for your help on this matter.

Hi John,
They are certainly not trade tokens, as any merchant who wanted to make a token that would circulate along side official money would have been put to death for using the official design.
All of the ones I have ever seen that say "He-Peh" instead of "Hu-Peh" are modern fantasy pieces. Some people refer to them as tokens as sort of a tongue-in-cheek way of letting people know it's not a genuine piece without specifically saying so.
Also, these are not typically made of actual silver, just an alloy that counterfeiters have perfected that closely replicates the look of silver. I have cut dozens of these in half and the metal has very different properties in the rough than it does on the obverse/reverse that have been altered by heat and pressure from striking in a press.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).