Coin and Paper Money Collecting/State Quarters

I am searching rolls of state quarters to get better at my grading skills. I found a Vermont with a large extra branch and sent it into NGC for a variety grade. It was dismissed as such and grade was lowered as a bad strike. Who do I send these new finds to to get a variety listing for them??

Without a photo, or more of a description, it is impossible to say what exactly you may have. A bad strike does not make a variety. Variety coin listings are provided by a national error club (CONECA) for both members and non-members. For more information, see: and more specifically:  * Mike Ellis prescreens 20th/21st Century U.S. Die Varieties to determine if they are already listed by consulting existing books and other published reports and then supplies the submitter with the correct number if he can find it.  If he cannot determine the CONECA number or it is new, he will refer you to James Wiles. Contact Mike at:

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.