Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1777 coin identification??

I found several coins when going through OLD jewelry of my great aunt's.  The first one in question is very thin, worn and light weight.  I could only read the markings by putting under paper and rubbing pencil over it.  One side is a Capital "R" with a crown on top.  The other side is marked 48 (there is a mark to the lower right of the 48 that looks like a star or an x in a circle) the lettering: EIMEN THALER 1777.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Hi Susan,
Sounds like you have a 1/48th thaler silver coin from the German State of Prussia. I have included a picture for comparison. Unfortunately this is a relatively common coin despite the age and in well used condition is worth only a few dollars.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).